It’s hump day…woot woot! We are one day closer to the weekend 🙂 I hope you’ve all had a great week so far. My week has been very busy and a little exhausting but I know things will slow down soon.
I, like many people, work a full-time office job where I’m away from home most of the day. I’m lucky enough to live close enough to work where I can come home on my lunch break, which is awesome. Everyday when I’m getting ready to head back to work from lunch I make sure that I have a snack packed for later. Having healthy snacks on hand is super important for so many reasons.
- Prevents you from overeating at lunch and/or dinner. Eating a small snack between meals helps you stay satiated and prevents the “I’m so hungry I could eat the whole menu” feeling. I don’t know about you but I know that when I’m “starving” I end up eating a lot more than I normally would have at a meal. All of your rational thoughts go out the window and you end up with a big bowl of mac n’ cheese instead of the chicken salad you planned.
- Similar to the above, snacking between meals keeps your blood sugar level which prevents the ever so familiar “hangry”, hungry and angry. When your blood sugar drops most people often become easily agitated and not the most friendly people to be around. By having a healthy snack every 3 hours or so you are able to keep your blood sugar stable and make life more pleasant for those around you 🙂
- Prevents the midday slump. Right around 3:00PM my energy levels drop and I know it’s time for a snack. Just a simple apple or banana is all it takes to help me keep going until I get off work.
- Revved up metabolism. By eating 5 small meals a day you keep your metabolism going which increases weight loss.
I always eat a snack between breakfast and lunch and then another one between lunch and dinner, usually about 2-3 hours after a meal. Make sure to keep your snack between 100-200 calories. Below are some options and a few of my favorites.
- Apple & string cheese
- Apple & tablespoon almond butter
- Veggies & 2 tablespoons hummus
- Fruit of choice
- Larabar’s – by far my favorite snack bar. I often keep one in my purse just in case I don’t have time to have a lunch.
- Popcorn – I like to pop a bag of unsalted, no butter popcorn at home and put it into sandwich baggies to put in my purse. You can add spices for flavor such as paprika or garlic powder
- Nuts – Trader Joe’s has prepackaged individual bags of nuts. I like the Simply Almonds, Cashews, and Cranberries
- Protein shake
- The following 3 have a higher amount of sodium so eat in moderation – beef jerky, dried fruit, snap pea crisps